Pre- existing conditions.

Discussions of the Canadian immigration process, requirements, timelines and issues.

Pre- existing conditions.

Postby morgan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:47 pm

We got our PR and moving permanently to AB soon. My wife is 4 month pregnant and hope to have the baby in Canada. I know Canada has a different health care system than US. But does the pre-exiting conditions (expecting a baby) matter when we apply for our health insurance in AB or in Canada(overall). If it matters then we could have the baby here bec I have insurance in US. The letter for PPR even says if you can go to Canada before the baby is born you should do so. But what about insurance? I just don´t want to take the risk of going there and them saying no. I know if it is US that I am going they will definitely reject the application for any insurance under pre exsiting conditions. Can anyone who has experience advice us on this?
morgan
Beginner

Re: Pre- existing conditions.

Postby Christina » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Health Insurance + Inland PR application. I am a Canadian Citizen moving back to Canada with my wife who is American. I have learned quite a lot about the Inland vs. Outland applications but have a couple of questions regarding health insurance and a work permit. 1. When would my wife be eligible for Alberta Health Care if I were to do an Inland application. If its only until after the 1st stage of the application how can I get private health insurance for her. 2. Is the only option for my wife to work (She is in Finance) by getting an "Open Work Permit" or can she find a job and get a company to sponsor a TWP for her?
Christina
Beginner

Postby Omar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Is there any specific definition for pre-existing medical condition?
Omar
Beginner

Postby AlanChapney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:14 am

morgan wrote:We got our PR and moving permanently to AB soon. My wife is 4 month pregnant and hope to have the baby in Canada. I know Canada has a different health care system than US. But does the pre-exiting conditions (expecting a baby) matter when we apply for our health insurance in AB or in Canada(overall). If it matters then we could have the baby here bec I have insurance in US. The letter for PPR even says if you can go to Canada before the baby is born you should do so. But what about insurance? I just don´t want to take the risk of going there and them saying no. I know if it is US that I am going they will definitely reject the application for any insurance under pre exsiting conditions. Can anyone who has experience advice us on this?

After you come to Canada you will have to wait until your application for provincial medical service is approved. Usually the period of approval is about 3 months. As to private plans, the only available coverage for existing pregnancies is complication coverage (you may want to take a look at this page https://arbetovinsurance.com/pregnancy-insurance-for-visitors-to-canada/. Planned pregnancies, occurred after purchase of insurance, are fully covered under specific plans (you may find it at the same page)

Christina wrote:Health Insurance + Inland PR application. I am a Canadian Citizen moving back to Canada with my wife who is American. I have learned quite a lot about the Inland vs. Outland applications but have a couple of questions regarding health insurance and a work permit. 1. When would my wife be eligible for Alberta Health Care if I were to do an Inland application. If its only until after the 1st stage of the application how can I get private health insurance for her. 2. Is the only option for my wife to work (She is in Finance) by getting an "Open Work Permit" or can she find a job and get a company to sponsor a TWP for her?

1. As far as I know study/work permit holders may apply for the local medical card immediately after crossing the border, however, the card will be issued in 3 months. For the period of waiting or in any other cases (such as visitor status") she needs to buy insurance from a private company. You may choose a plan from various options here https://arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada/

Omar wrote:Is there any specific definition for pre-existing medical condition?

a symptom diagnosed by a doctor before the insurance came in effect
AlanChapney

Return to General Immigration Forum